The story of a French guy and his lovely Belgian wife gone to Barcelona to get the IESE MBA.

Friday, August 18, 2006

One week to go...

In 8 days, I will be on the road to Barcelona, ready for my new student life.
Emilie has found us an appartment in Barcelona and the good news is that there is a guest room! Good news for you, my friends, if you want to visit us once we're there.
Apparently the flat is in a good area (Eixample), not too far from the famous "Plaça de Cataluniya" and from IESE by scooter.
Yeah, you read well, I'm gonna drop my brand new BMW company car for a little scooter ;-)
Thinking about it, it sounds scarry: droping my job at Sony Europe, all my perks including that fabulous car just to go back to school and take a huge loan on my shoulders.
Ah ah! No pain, no gain!
Ironically, I see that as a symbol. It would be way to easy to sit back and enjoy my current quiet life in Belgium. We have a house, lots of very nice friends, a good job, a nice car, plenty of spare time. I do like this life. But I have other projects in mind. After 7 years in consulting and IT project management, I want to change career and go to the business side.


A few months ago, I started up my own company with a friend in parallel with Sony. We created a new concept of wedding lists service where the objective was to remove all the constraints that the traditionnal services impose to the couples. Now that we have raised enough funds and that we have tested the concept with some friends, we are lauching it at the Belgium scale (still reasonable). I am convinced that the concept is good and offers a real advantage to the couples and their guests.
If you know people who are getting married (not necessarily in Belgium), tell them to have a look at Fleur de Lyst first before they choose something they will regret :-)


All this to say that Fleur de Lyst has given me the entrepreneurship virus. My MBA will help me a lot in my future ventures and only for that, I can't wait to start at IESE!

Before that, we still have a lot to do to prepare the move. The house is still to be sold, nothing is ready. I would have preferred to have at least a few days between Sony and IESE, but hey, that's the way it is and it doesn't matter that much. It's just the downside of a great opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home